...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

February 20, 2006

Better Off Dead - 7

After seeing this film my freshman year of college, and again last night I consider this film to be one of my favorite comedy's of all time. It stars John Cusack, as Lane whose depressed after his girlfriend dumps him, and he sets about taking back control of his life, more by accident than by choice it seems. Like Jean Shepherd's (A Christmas Story) The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski, this film uses expressionism to show the emotional state of the main character as a teenager. This is used through out the whole film, most notably through the food Lane's mother makes. Lane's sidekick is hilarious with some great quotes: "Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane. A fly speck on the map - a rest stop on the way to the ski slope. I can't even get real drugs here!
[holds up a bottle of whipped cream]," "This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?," "I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy. I know high school girls." "You ski the K-12 dude, and girls will go sterile just looking at you!" This is a must-see film.

No comments: