...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

January 26, 2005

What to make of the over-hype

If you haven't noticed already, many in the media, or at least the stuff I read, are talking and hyping Conor Oberst whose CD's go under the name Bright Eyes. I have since listened to both of his new CD's that came out yesterday (Jan. 25), and concluded that they are pretty good, I like them, and I think that both the lyrics and music are complex as well as enjoyable. It is definitely not stuff you will hear on pop radio, which depending on what you like to listen to, could be good or bad. If not wanting to take to big of a risk you should probably go with I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, but Digital Ash in a Digital Urn is good stuff as well, although the two don't always sound like they are made or written by the same person. Overall I like what I have heard. Feel free to comment on other music that I may not have heard of that I should check out. Happy listening!

1 comment:

Sean Purcell said...

Greg,
I have been listening to Bright Eyes as well. I think I like Digital ash in a digital Urn a little better (but the jury is still out).