...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

January 23, 2005

Lost in Translation - 7

The power of culture to make one feel at home. The characters find themselves in a strange place, and discover a place to ask honest questions about life, and its ups and downs. I think that many people become numb to their own culture and way of life, thinking that they have found the good life. If only more people would be lost enough to need to be found, would their stories open up to a whole world beyond their front door. I am not talking about captain Kirk's final frontier, rather how about the people we work with and those that live on our block. Fear has us taken us hostage from our own humanity, the relationality of just being alive.
"Does it get easier?"
"No.....Yes"
Life really is that complex, but the questions are worth asking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again I just missed this one. I was so interested but came out confused. I had heard there were time when the mic or video camera were visible to bring you back into reality and but I never saw them. Maybe I was to wrapped up in the movie to notice. This movie just didn't bring forth the ideas I had hoped it would.