...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

May 17, 2005

Fat Albert - 3

I was disappointed with this movie. Kenan Thompson is very funny on SNL (probably one of the few funny people in the current cast). But he is not funny in this movie. Not only that, but the plot is shallow; the characters from the animated series come out of the TV on reruns of the show. To fill time the minor characters are allowed to change, and then return to the show the same way. All of this just to let a high school girl know that her grandfather loves her from beyond the grave. Bill Cosby appears as himself, and no jokes develop from this short scene. The only laughing I did was at how stupid and outrageous some of the story development was. I'd like to think this film is a kids movie, which forgive some of the simplicity, but I think even small children would see through the flashy colors to the lack of any real development of characters or story (Although I think DVD sales will eventually prove me wrong).

No comments: