...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

April 01, 2005

The Incredibles - 7

This film presupposes that children are quite intelligent. Or at least that they are able follow relatively complex line of thinking. Or maybe I am just over-thinking, and it really is just the pretty colors. This seems like a better assumption than that of teletubbies, which seems to market to children who are at a very low level of intelligence, and wants to keep them there. This film is really an animated James Bond Film without the sexual innuendo(or very little) with some super-powers thrown in, even the music sounds for Bond-ish. It is even able to laugh at it self by mentioning the devices used by writers to tell a formulaic story. I thought that some of the characters were underdeveloped, but there is always room for that in the sequel(you know they are going to make one:-). As you can tell I give this film the benefit of the doubt most of the time because its standard as a kid movie is lower. I think that this is because as children grow they further develop their sense of the complexity of the world, and being overwhelmed by reality should be a gradual process rather than a forced one (most of the time life makes this happen even if we don't). This film is not trying to reinvent anything, and that is what keeps it from being cheesy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg ... I notice you have never given a film a higher mark than 7. :D Personally, I'd give this film a 9.5 (and the extended editions of LoTR would have been 10, 10, and 9.5 on my scale). Anyway, I can hardly wait to watch it with Matteo when it arrives in a week or so.

~greg said...

sorry for the confusion. In my original post I explain how my ranking scale is from 1-7. So, I have in fact given alot of movies the highest ranking. In my mind, anything with a ranking of 4 or higher might be worth your time to see, 3 and below I would say pass on it. Most of my rankings are high because I try to weed out the bad films from the previews, but every once in a while one slips through.

Anonymous said...

oh. I get it, now. I was just confused because normally things are rated out of 5 or 10 ... though 7 is a good way to go: odd, so there's no real middle ground, and yet still high enough to allow a bit more granularity.

Anonymous said...

I like your point of view on this movie. I never thought about it as a form of development for children. I didn't really like the movie myself but it's just not my style of humour. I do think it's a good movie for kids though.