...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

April 23, 2005

The Door in the Floor - 4

I found this to be a very strange movie. It is based on the first third of John Irving's novel A Widow For One Year. From the description of the novel and what it is about is very different than what is portrayed and told in the story in this film adaptation. John Irving, in the special features, likes this adaptation. He says that the film is about forgiveness and identifying with the main character, Marion. I found from watching the film that she seemed to be a minor character, while her daughter Ruth, her husband Ted -an eccentric children's book author- and his assistant for the summer played greater roles in the film. Who am I to disagree with the author? I just thought the film didn't do justice to what it could have been. On the other hand, I liked the children's story that is within it and the metaphor that creates for the film, and I think there is some good dialogue between Ted and Ruth. I think this film could be good for discussing how to tell a story. I think there may be better ways to tell this story.

No comments: