...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

March 04, 2006

Corpse Bride - 5

As of about a half hour, this film did not win the Oscar for animation (Probably justly, but I'll know after seeing Wallace and Gromit). This film is in essence a short (75 min) stop-motion musical. But the animation and music is well done. The story is an arranged marriage gone wrong when the bride and groom end up married to other people. The spells and promises of the underworld are made to be broken...Ok I've given away the ending. The puns and songs are the main point anyway. The visuals are artistic, but the story is not good enough to make it great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This film was one of my biggest disappointments of last year. Given it's cast and talent behind it, I expected some sort of emotional resonance to remain after I watched it, but Corpse Bride is surprisingly disposable. It's decent, but ultimately forgettable.

Paul

Gideon Strauss said...

I am taken aback by the Crash win - at your advice it is the movie I am showing my Social Philosophy class in a week's time, and when I scheduled it I thought it was a nifty indie movie of which NONE of my students will otherwise have heard!

~greg said...

Gideon,

All of the films nominated are somewhat indie, so I think most of your students probably haven't seen this film. My credibility with the film has also increased since I have been telling people that it should be counted as the best film of 2005 (Although that just means that a bunch of "liberal," whatever that means, Hollywood folks agree with me:-). It is interesting that Hollywood does not see its craft as helping folks escape when going to films, the box office numbers tell a different story (see www.the-numbers.com).