...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

July 15, 2005

purpose revisited...

Below is copied from my first post in which I explain what this blog is about, and helpful for deciphering the numbers in my post titles...thanks to all those who have and will leave comments and contribute to this forum for thought and dialogue.

"I am going to post movie ratings and hopefully helpful questions about the movies that I have been watching. I hope that this site can be a sort of forum for movie discussion and insight about cultural engagement.

But, first I want to give readers a disclaimer. I like movies based on the story that they are telling. In other words, I think movies make claims about the human condition. They give us insight into some kind of moral meaning, and a storied kind of living. So, movies can do this well which makes watching them a joy and blessing, and others either fail or miss the mark, leaving me with a bad taste and a sense of a deceptive reality.

So, technical effects and famous names aside, you may be confused as to why some movies are ranked higher than others. I will be ranking them from 1-7. 1, being the kind that I do not enjoy; and 7, telling that I think these are great movies that can lead to great conversations and maybe even changed ways of knowing and doing.

Finally, I am not advocating the watching of any of the movies that are on this site, but am interested in engaging in conversations of discernment in culture, movies in particular. All movies are not for all people. We need to be aware of our own limitations in knowledge, discernment, and emotions. As well as the level of responsibility that we have in the world, toward our neighbor and ourselves."

1 comment:

Sean Purcell said...

well said young skywalker...
keep it up.