...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

July 14, 2005

It's about time I got to some music...

Last night , Jason and I went to Club Cafe, on the southside of Pittsburgh, to hear Anders Parker and Richard Buckner. Both were pretty good, Anders on guitar and keyboard, Buckner on electric and acoustic guitar using some cool looping. Lately I have been listening to Coldplay (X&Y) and Keane (Hopes and Fears) a lot, both albums have grown on me. I have also been listening to Dave Matthews Band's new album Stand Up. It is pretty good, but for a jam band the songs are awfully short (3-4 mins).
In other news, here are some music sites I have heard about recently. First is firstlisten.org, it is site that will send you free music if you agree to fill out a survey about it. The second site is metacritic.com, it has a formula for reviewing music, film, books and video game reviews and then giving it a percentage. I am currently listening to Sting's Brand New Day as I write, and am surprised at how good this album still is, his new album (Sacred Love) is good but second to this one.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I posted a somewhat loose account of the concert too on my site. Nice post! I'm checking some of those links out too.

Gideon Strauss said...

I must tell my daughters about firstlisten! They are Paste devotees, but our financial constraints and strict anti-freeloading policy is limiting their access to new music beyond endurance, going by their complaints.