...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

July 20, 2005

The Godfather - 6

This is actually the first time I have seen this film. It is a good story (Although I am finding out that I don't really like Francis Copolla's style of film making, he tends to draw things out, taking a lot of time that seem disconnected from the story as a whole). The film tells a complex story rather simply, which is hard to do. It also deals with issues of family and the entire set of values that go along with it in an Italian mob family. When it comes to crime issues of justice always come up, there is a great line in the film when Mike is in Italy and he asks where all the men are, and the reply is that they have all been killed because of vendetta against each other (fits with the line, "an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind"). I can see why it is a classic, but it tends to glorify the violence that it shows (I wanted to be in a mob family after watching it, and then I thought "I couldn't kill anyone"). It is worth seeing even if you are not interested in the history of film, the story has a sort of timelessness to it.

1 comment:

Jason said...

While this is definitely a Great Film (with capital letters), I think it's a tiny bit overrated and I can't stand the Mob worship surrounding it.