...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

September 22, 2006

The Grapes of Wrath - 5

I know I am going to get harassed about the low ranking on this one, and it was made in 1940, which means I should be kinder... but I am not going to be (although I am more conflicted about this film). From what I understand John Steinbeck, whose book this is adapted from, rights well and descriptively of the depression era in America. He is known for creating good characters, which seems hard to translate into film, although the main character, Tom Joad, is a good picture of the struggle during that era. The black and white format that they had to use actually helps to create a better sense of the era (although this is also deceptive in that it could lead to the assumption that stories in color are more upbeat). A good glimpse into a different era in America.

No comments: