...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

April 20, 2006

Roman Holiday - 7

I realize this film may be labeled a chic-flick, but it is a really good film. It won awards when it came out in 1953 (I have been stocking my Netflix queue with classics as of late). The film is simple story of a princess who escapes from her handlers while visiting Rome. She is taken in by a news reporter and they have a day on the town, all under the guise that he will write a story on her, while she is under the impression that she has convinced them she is just a regular person.
The point of the film comes at the end of the film when the issue of integrity is raised as they fall in love but also realize the structures that will keep them apart. While they could become vindictive and hurt each other, they decide that to be truthful they cannot follow through on their deception.
Audrey Hepburn (I have liked every film she is in so far: Breakfast at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady) and Gregory Peck are excellent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is probably my favorite Audrey film, and one that bears watching one a year or so. Just a magnificent story, and one that has one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen, despite the fact that so much remains undefined. Yet this ambiguity solidifies the structure of the film, and rightly attains the moralism that it's so dependent on.

Paul

Gideon Strauss said...

Roman Holiday has been sitting on my zip.ca list forever. I really want to see it. Even if only for the Vespas. It does have Vespas, right?