...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

January 19, 2007

back to Emo...

The title of this post is intended to be a pun. When I was 4, my family moved to a town called Emo, in Ontario Canada (see the sweet google satellite images), I moved away from there when I was in 6th grade and have never been back. There is also a genre of music called Emo. I learned of this in college and had to chuckle (there are all sorts of good one liners like: "I used to live in Emo, now I like prog rock more," or "That is so Emo, you know, fishing off the Pointe"). OK, I guess that's only funny to me. Anyway, I have become reacquainted with Emo through the music of Brand New and My Chemical Romance, both pretty good. While I'm in Emo, I would also recommend Jimmy Eat World's Futures as one of my favorite Emo albums.
I am also listening to the new Switchfoot album, like all their others it has its moments (especially the songs Awakening and Yesterdays), overall not as bad as I suspected (no thanks to Paste Magazine's bad pick of sampler song).

No comments: