...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

December 19, 2005

sites and sounds

My brother has redesigned his blog and made is a book review site: Strung Along. I am also regularly checking out: Gideon Strauss' blog, Jason Panella's Xanga site, and Keith Martel's blog. Over the weekend I got Finally Woken by Jem. It is somewhat poppy and very produced (which makes me wonder what she would sound like live) the best description of the sound I can give is that it is some combination of Frou Frou and Poe. The sound catches on quickly, and her lyrics are interesting.
From They:
Who made up all the rules
We follow them like fools
Believe them to be true
Don't care to think them through
And I'm sorry so sorry
I'm sorry it's like this
I'm sorry so sorry
I'm sorry we do this
And it's ironic too
Coz what we tend to do
Is act on what they say
And then it is that way
Who are they
And where are they
And how can they possibly
Know all this
Do you see what I see
Why do we live like this
Is it because it's true
That ignorance is bliss

And From Just a Ride:
Life, it's ever so strange
It's so full of change
Think that you've worked it out
Then BANG
Right out of the blue
Something happens to you
To throw you off course
And then you
Breakdown
Yeah you breakdown
Well don't you breakdown
Listen to me
Because
It's just a ride, it's just a ride
No need to run, no need to hide
It'll take you round and round
Sometimes you're up
Sometimes you're down
It's just a ride, it's just a ride
Don't be scared
Don't hide your eyes
It may feel so real inside
But don't forget it's just a ride
Truth, we don't wanna hear
It's too much to take
Don't like to feel out of control
So we make our plans
Ten times a day
And when they don't go
Our way we
Breakdown
Yeah we breakdown
Well don't you breakdown
Listen to me
Because
Slowly, oh so very slowly
Except that
There's no getting off
So live it, just gotta go with it
Coz this ride is, never gonna stop

1 comment:

Gideon Strauss said...

We Strausses liked "They" (on the Paste sampler) for its music.