...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

December 07, 2004

Saved (5), Thirteen (6), and Mean Girls (4)

About two months ago I decided that I would try to connect some of the current movies coming out at that time. It so happened that within a couple of weeks of each other, these three movies were released to DVD. So, in the course of a week, I rented and saw each of these three movies. I found that these movies had distinct similarities as well as some differences.
It seems to me that these films are fundamentally about being female in high school in contemporary american society. These films once again bring up the issue of whether popular culture is reflecting society or vice versa. Of course it is never that simple, but the questions surrounding this interplay is interesting. I think that only Thirteen is truly realistic in trying to understand this culture, while Mean Girls and Saved! are trying to point out funny and critical aspects of this culture. I think it would be dangerous to just assume that these movies have things right. I think it would be more productive to engage in conversation about these films in order to better understand the blessings and curses of the media and culture in the lives of youth culture, especially in schools.

No comments: