...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

May 24, 2007

Rocky - 5












I don't remember the exact reasons (maybe so I would blog about some good ol' fashion American film), but Keith suggested I watch some Rocky, there are six after all, but I think this might be my first and last. As influential to film, I can see its importance, but growing up in Canada (although I am an American citizen) means that I find most American dream inspired stories a little corny, if not slightly misleading. And this film is "American Dream 101." Underdog boxer-immigrant-Italian-hard worker-down on his luck-never invested in by others for his potential, gets a once in a lifetime chance to fight the Heavyweight Champion of the World, works hard, keeps his integrity, "goes the distance" and gets the girl. This film goes to show the power of the medium to influence and shape viewers, a while back NPR had a story about how people still make the run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. My co-workers tell me this film was big when it came out in 1976- the sixth film came out last Christmas. Sylvester Stallone wrote and stars in each of the films as Rocky Balboa, who goes by the nickname The Italian Stallion (which is sort of Over the Top- funny that's the name of another film he wrote and starred in, it is a pseudo-family-values-Rocky film:-) The film seems funny to me watching it 30 years later, but the optimism seems to leave its mark on viewers- who can argue with that? Probably just a snarky pessimist.

No comments: