...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

October 13, 2005

Ghost in the Shell - 7


This is one of the best anime films I have seen. Aesthetically the film is amazing. The story deals with a future in which artificial intelligent has been programmed with 'ghosts', which raises the questions of what makes humans and cyborg and computers distinctive. Is it their history? Their bodies? Or is it their ability to choose? The film is both a story about cops chasing a cyber criminal in 2029, as well as a discussion of the philosophical implications of computerization and technology. It is a good film in both of these respects. The film is framed around the epistemological questions raised by two verses from the Bible. I Corinthians 13:12 - "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." And verse 11 - "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." The main character, Motoko Kusanagi, uses these to try to understand herself as not quite human but more than a mechanistic robot.

1 comment:

Rabbit-man said...

Have you seen the tv version of ghost in the shell, Ghost in the shell stand alone complex? It has a lot less philosophy, but it is still pretty cool. I might review it on my anime blog soon.