...engaging and discerning culture, as a way of life...

September 28, 2007

Blue - 7

Previously, on the day I started this blog, I gave this film a 5. Seeing it again, I have no idea why I did that . Let's call it- "I learned a thing or two after blogging about 800 films since then." This is an amazing film, director Krzysztof Kieslowski uses every shot to develop the themes and story. Julie (Juliette Binoche) suffers the loss of her husband, a nationally known French composer, and her five year-old daughter in a car accident. The remainder of the film is Julie's attempts to deal with the grief and trauma. This includes random encounters and connections with people in her apartment building, her husband's mistress, and finishing a symphony that her husband had started. It is a thoughtful and well made film. It has been analyzed extensively by academics interested in film and trauma studies. It is part of the Three Colors trilogy (White and Red).

No comments: